Property Qualification Criteria
The Lease Purchase Program (“Program”) is offered and administered by America 2nd Chance, LLC. Resident and property must meet eligibility requirements, which are subject to change. Resident must qualify for a mortgage from a third party lender or pay the purchase price in cash to exercise the right to purchase a home. America 2nd Chance does not provide financing for the resident to purchase a home. America 2nd Chance’ approval for the resident to lease a home does not mean that the resident will later qualify for a mortgage. ©2019 America 2nd Chance, LLC. All rights reserved. America 2nd Chance, the America 2nd Chance, Inc. logo and “A Different Path to Homeownership” are pending or registered trademarks and service marks of America 2nd Chance, Inc. or its affiliates.
This is a guide to help agents and prospective residents better understand whether homes fit into the America 2nd Chance Program. We believe quality homes in affordable communities increase our residents’ likelihood of success with the program. Our Program also considers a home’s potential for leasing and resale in the event our residents move out. Please help us achieve our objectives by reviewing this list of qualification criteria before visiting a home. It will save you time, too!
Note that this is not a comprehensive list and criteria is subject to change. Homes listed on our website may be ineligible for the program, and America 2nd Chance reserves the right to reject any property submittal for reasons other than those listed here.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- America 2nd Chance wants to purchase homes in neighborhood communities within close proximity to centers of activity.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes located within close proximity to commercial, industrial, mining or agricultural areas, high traffic roads, active railroad tracks, or airport flight paths.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes near structures that could impair value (e.g. high tension power lines, cell/water towers).
- Homes within a 100-year flood zone do not qualify except in Florida where a base flood elevation difference of -1.5 or higher is allowed.
- Homes must be located on paved roads.
- America 2nd Chance will not consider homes in subdivisions or new construction phases that are less than 50% complete.
- Properties located in counties or municipalities that require a rental inspection may have delayed move-in dates of thirty days or more after the closing date. Please check with the local county and municipality to confirm their rental license requirements.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase short sale, foreclosure or probate properties, bank-owned properties, or any property sold at auction or by a government agency.
- Sellers must be willing to use the standard state contract and not require addenda aside from a builder warranty (America 2nd Chance will use the Pulte Homes contract in certain markets – please inquire for more information).
- Relocation deals may be considered on a case-by-case basis due to their protracted closing process and their contract addenda.
- America 2nd Chance cannot purchase condominiums, including single-family homes or townhomes that are condominium ownership.
- America 2nd Chance cannot purchase commercial, modular homes, log cabins, mixed-use or manufactured housing properties.
- The property must be on two (2) acres or less. Please be aware that maintenance of all landscaping is a resident responsibility.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes that have seven bedrooms or more.
HOMEOWNER ASSOCIATIONS (HOAs)
- Homes must be located in HOAs that allow leasing without requirements for background/credit checks or interviews. America 2nd Chance will not purchase in HOAs that assume third-party beneficiary rights including the right to evict without notice.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase in age-restricted communities or in HOAs that require a social, tennis, golf or country club membership.
- Total annual HOA dues must not exceed 1% of list price. HOA transfer fees and capital contributions must be reasonable and are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Homes must be in good cosmetic and structural condition, in America 2nd Chance’ discretion.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes that are over 100 years old.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes over 30 years old that are in original condition or with obsolete floorplans.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes with converted garages.
- Homes must have updated plumbing and electrical (e.g. no polybutylene or galvanized plumbing, aluminum branch wiring, cloth wiring).
- All homes must be 100% completed prior to submittal.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes with incomplete rehab projects or structures on the premises that are in disrepair.
- Homes with a door on an upper level must have a balcony, deck or staircase built on the exterior.
- Homes with liens, open permits or unpermitted rehab work will not be considered.
- Homes must have central air conditioning (exceptions may apply in CO, OR, MN, PA and WA). All new construction homes must have central AC regardless of location.
- Homes must not have any environmental hazards (e.g. mold, lead paint, vermiculite insulation, asbestos, etc.).
- Homes built in Maryland before 1978 must have a Lead Free Certificate (contact America 2nd Chance for specifics).
- Homes with seepage or subject to flooding will not be considered.
- Homes with a history of sinkholes anywhere on or near the property will not be considered.
- Homes must have a structurally sound foundation. All structural issues must be remedied and resulting collateral damage repaired.
- America 2nd Chance will not consider homes with dirt driveways.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase houses that have sunrooms with glass ceilings.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes with synthetic stucco facades.
OTHER PROPERTY DISQUALIFIERS
- Prospective residents must physically walk through the home. (Virtual showings do not meet this requirement.)
- Homes with solar panels that are leased /not fully owned. (Sellers may pay off the lease and remove the solar panels prior to sale.)
- Homes with propane tanks as the primary heating source.
- Homes with guesthouses or “in-law suites” in a separate building (e.g. above a detached garage or in a pool house with separate access).
- Homes with above ground or vinyl pools.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes with in-ground pools outside of Texas, Georgia, Florida, Southern California, and Arizona.
- America 2nd Chance will not purchase homes with indoor pools or large exercise spas.
- Properties with tax rates (including special service area/community development district/ Mello-Roos) greater than 4% of property value.
- Homes must be vacant and empty of all seller’s personal belongings prior to closing. America 2nd Chance will not purchase furnished homes or negotiate for personal property aside from standard appliances.